India’s escalating solar energy capacity in 2022

According to the data issued by the Mercom India Research India witnessed a 21 percent increase in its solar energy capacity in the first quarter of 2022 as compared to Q4 of 2021. The report highlighted that the country’s year on year solar power installations spiked by 50 percent.


The further data indicated that during Q1 2022 around 2.7 GW of large-scale solar projects was installed. India’s total solar energy capacity reached 54 Gigawatts till now under which the large scale projects account for 85% and the rest 15% is the household’s rooftop installations.

As per the report, last year was promising as far as India’s solar energy capacity is concerned as a total of 10 GW of energy capacity was added. The report mentioned that 2022 is off to great a start and could be a landmark year in the renewable energy domain as India has already witnessed 4.6 GW of total renewable energy capacity. Solar energy consists of 68 percent of the total installed renewable energy, the report added.